Date:      Sat, 08 Feb 2003 11:21:23 -0700
From:      Scott <samsco@mho.net>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, cg@freebsd.org, orion@freebsd.org
Subject:   panic in dsp_ioctl()

All,

WIth a fairly recent 5-current and ICH3 sound hardware I'm getting a
panic in dsp_ioctl() when running just about anything.  The offending
section seems to be at line 457 of dsp.c:

(kgdb) l *dsp_ioctl+0xb5
0xb935 is in dsp_ioctl (/usr/src/sys/dev/sound/pcm/dsp.c:457).
452             getchns(i_dev, &rdch, &wrch, 0);
453
454             kill = 0;
455             if (wrch && (wrch->flags & CHN_F_DEAD))
456                     kill |= 1;
457             if (rdch && (rdch->flags & CHN_F_DEAD))
458                     kill |= 2;
459             if (kill == 3) {
460                     relchns(i_dev, rdch, wrch, 0);
461                     splx(s);

Since I'm not doing any recording, I would assume that rdch should be
NULL and the test would avoid the rdch->flags indirection.  However, I'm
having a hard time figuring out how rdch actually gets set/initialized
in the driver, and the value that winds up in this code path is very
bogus.  This wasn't a problem with my previous build a few weeks  ago.

Scott