Date:      Sat, 02 May 1998 15:22:08 GMT
From:      jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
To:        "Harry Patterson" <harry@visiontm.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PPPD and Proxyarp

On Sat, 2 May 1998 09:42:58 -0400, "Harry Patterson"
<harry@visiontm.com> wrote:

>I know the 192.168 is reserved for Intranet's only, that's why I am using
>them on the ethernet and trying to use PPPD to obtain the Internet
>addresses. PPPD man pages say you can do it this way and the handbook
>provides almost this exact example using PPP. My understanding is that
>proxyarp is supposed to provide this "aliasing" so that the local net can
>use the PPPD connection.

NO!  That is not the purpose of proxyarp!  You must use NATD to do
what you're trying to do.

>I had it working once using PPP by playing with manual settings which
>I thought I documented well, but now can't reproduce >:-(

And never will.

>I haven't yet gotten PPPD to work with the proxyarp.

You're barking up the wrong tree trying to do network address
translation (NAT) by using proxyarp.

I use proxyarp to make some of my downstream modem clients look like
they're on my local ethernet, so they can use static IP addresses
which belong to my ethernet network number.  That's one purpose of
proxyarp, but it has nothing to do with network address translation
where 192.168.x.x hosts are allowed to talk on the Internet.