Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2000 20:11:53 -0400
From:      Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Rich Wales <richw@webcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA66 cable being ignored?

Rich Wales wrote:

> My new Dell OptiPlex GX300 (running 4.1-RELEASE) came with an 80-wire
> ATA cable.  I added a second drive and am using this cable for both
> drives.  However, the kernel fails to recognize the cable and is limit-
> ing DMA speed accordingly.  Any ideas?
>
> See below for the relevant portion of the "boot -v" output.  I note the
> "cblid=0" value -- leading me to wonder if the problem might possibly
> be with the integrated ATA controller on the motherboard not sensing or
> reporting the cable properly.  This is an 800-MHz Pentium III system,
> though, so I find it a bit hard to believe that it isn't UDMA66-capable.
>
> BTW, in the line which claims I have a non-ATA66 compliant cable, I
> believe the preferred spelling is "limited", with just one T (not two).
>
> Rich Wales         richw@webcom.com         http://www.webcom.com/richw/

Are both drives ATA66? I built a new computer with a K7V (integrated ATA66
controller) and when I plugged my old ATA33 drive into the same cable (for
copying stuff) I started getting the same messages. When I took the old drive
off ATA66 started working again. I guess it can only go as fast as the slowest
drive on the cable.

-Brandon