Date:      Mon, 23 Nov 1998 08:58:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Breakage in -current for the ALPHA

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Bruce Evans wrote:

> >> 1. Mispelling of `dependent' is annoying.
> >
> >Eh?
> >
> >feral-gw.feral.com > grep dependent /usr/dict/words
> >dependent
> >dependently
> >dependents
> >independent
> >independently
> >interdependent
>
> That only shows correct spellings.  ispell(1) guesses that `dependant' is
> a misspelling of `0: defendant ...  3: dependent ... 6: de pendant ...'.

I misunderstood. I thought you were criticizing my use of 'dependent'.

> >> 2. Nothing is really machine independent.
> >
> >So? That's spurious logic. We all die, therefore we shouldn't attempt to
> >live?
>
> We shouldn't spend much lifetime on this :-).

Rightyo, then!

Seriously- attempts to regularize and make as broad as possible kernel
APIs and ABIs is a laudable goal and shows whether an OS is ready to be
taken seriously for a multiplatform market- I really didn't understand
what you meant by "Nothing is really machine independent" except I
inferred from the tone that the attempt regularize where machine dependent
driver includes would go except "wherever" was a waste of time. Perhaps I
didn't understand.

But- if you like, we'll just drive on, eh?