Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:24:38 +0000
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        The Babbler <bts@babbleon.org>, John Sellens <jsellens@generalconcepts.com>, emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vmware networking - really sysmouse complaints

--LyciRD1jyfeSSjG0

On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 05:10:55PM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
> >=20
> > I don't know if you're using bridging or not... I've had problem today
> > with vmware and bridging and it was because the external interface (aue0
> > in my case) wasn't in promiscious mode for some reason!  I managed to
> > fake it by running a 'tcpdump -i aue0' in the background.  I'm sure
> > there's an easier way to put the interface into promiscious mode.  I'm
> > not sure what it is though.
>=20
> ngctl msg aue0: setpromisc 1

Magic ;)  In my case it looks like the aue0 wasn't coming up before the
rc.d/vmware.sh script was setting up the netgraph bits.  That's fixed
now but it's certainly good to know this.

BTW, a number of times I've wanted to back the netgraph config out so I
assumed that I could do an 'ngctl rmhook nodename' where the nodenames
come from 'ngctl list'.  Although the command doesn't complain it
doesn't remove the node though.  I'm slightly baffled.  What's the
official way?

Joe

--LyciRD1jyfeSSjG0

--LyciRD1jyfeSSjG0--