Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 1996 09:42:15 +0100 (MET)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.org
To:        langfod@dihelix.com (David Langford)
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Native & Linux ELF support finally there...

> Most cool. Thanks for the work.

Your'e welcome :)

> Now a side note: for those of us with our heads in the closet are there
> any pointers to the wonders of why Elf exists? i.e. what makes it
> so great that I should bow down before it?

For FreeBSD bins ? nothing as fas as I can tell, It helped Linux
clean up their shared libs mess, we did that right in the first place :)

(who was it that said think first then act :)

Besides that there are a lot of possibilities in ELF like multible
text segments, specific debugging info etc etc. But none of
that gives us anything in the short run.
I see no immediate need for us to convert to ELF format, but it gives
us some interesting possibilities to be able to run them...

Soren Schmidt             (sos@FreeBSD.org)             FreeBSD Core Team
               So much code to hack -- so little time.