Date:      Sat, 16 Oct 1999 07:46:06 +1000
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world issues

On Fri, Oct 15, 1999 at 08:20:59AM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> > Known issues/problems:
> > P1. the upgrade path is broken.
> > P2. aout to elf seems to be broken too.
> > P3. no cross compilation.
> > P4. buildworld must be performed as root.
> > P5. sys.mk pollution.
>
> P10. the compiler isn't built properly.  The intergral libgcc needs half
> of it build buy the compiler you are compiling the new compiler with, and
> the second half by the compiler you just built.  It is very hard to get
> proper access to both compilers at the right places.  IFAIK, this would
> also affect cross compliation.

I've found that cross-compiling is the easy bit. I build the cross-compilers
as part of a host make world during which they never get executed. To
build a cross-world, I just set MACHINE and MACHINE_ARCH and let sys.mk
(more pollution 8-) check to see if these differ from what the kernel
knows. If they differ, sys.mk sets CC etc to my cross-compiler and HOST_CC
to cc. Then the make world uses NOTOOLS and DESTDIR. The few places in
our tree where we build host tools in the obj tree during make world and
execute them from there need simple makefile changes to use HOST_CC instead
of CC.

I don't think that cross-compilation helps solve the bootstrap/upgrade
problem caused by the signal changes.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
               john.birrell@opendirectory.com.au