Date:      Thu, 06 Mar 2003 11:02:14 +1300
From:      "Richard Shea" <freebsdQ0@richardshea.fastmail.fm>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Mail vs SMTP [newbieish tendencies]

Hi - I've got a FreeBSD machine from which I can use 'Mail' to send
emails to any internet email address. However when I try to use it as a
SMTP server from within the LAN the connection times out.

I'm sure there are many places I could look for a solution but I just
wanted to check one thing. If I can use 'Mail' to send emails does this
imply that the FreeBSD box is running a SMTP server which could send mail
on behalf of clients (within the LAN)?

Thanks

Richard Shea.