Date:      Sat, 29 Apr 1995 09:27:34 -0700
From:      jkh@violet.berkeley.edu (Jordan K. Hubbard)
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   also cool! :)

From: scen@LEMOND.CSE.OGI.EDU (Shanwei Cen)
Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.announce
Subject: Source code available for Internet MPEG player
Date: 29 Apr 1995 08:25:38 -0700
Sender: daemon@net.bio.net

The Distributed Systems Research Group of the Department of Computer
Science and Engineering, Oregon Graduate Institute of Science and
Technology is pleased to announce the release of version 1.0 of its
distributed real-time MPEG video audio player. The player is publicly
available via anonymous ftp from:

  ftp.cse.ogi.edu (129.29.20.2) in /pub/dsrg/Player/.

or through following WWW pointer:

  http://cse.ogi.edu/DISC/projects/synthetix/Player/

Please find a copy of the README file below.

For people at OGI CSE, the executable form of the player server and
client programs, and the AudioFile servers are already available on
architectures SunOS4 for Sparc, HPUX, Solaris 2.4 for x86, and
Solaris 2.3 for Sparc. please see file 'README.OGI' in above ftp
directory for more information.

Best wishes,

Shanwei Cen

Distributed Systems Research Group
Department of Computer Science
Oregon Graduate Institute of Science and Technology

scen@cse.ogi.edu

-------------------- README --------------------------

     Distributed real-time MPEG video audio player v1.0

	  Distributed Systems Research Group
    Oregon Graduate Institute of Science and Technology
                       March, 1995

This directory contains a publicly available software distributed
real-time MPEG video and audio player. Please install it, run it, play
movies and music, and have fun !

The player features common VCR functionalities like synchronized video
and audio play back, play speed change on the fly, fast-forward, rewind,
step forward, random Positioning, and more.

The player is of server/client architecture. The server manages audio
video file retrieval and distribution. The client decodes video
frames, plays video and audio streams, and provides a Motif style user
interface.

The player has been compiled and tested on following architectures:

	HP-UX 09.03
	SunOS 4.1.3_U1 (sparc)
	Solaris 2.4 (i86pc)
	Solaris 2.3 (sparc) (only server program tested)
	Ultrix 4.x

If you decide to port the player to a new architecture, please let
us know so that we can incorporate the changes into our sources.

To install the player, ftp file vcr.tar.Z to local host, move it to a
suitable directory (best to create a new directory for this software),
uncompress and untar the .Z file, and see INSTALL for instructions.
Following is an example of steps to ftp and untar the package:

	% mkdir vcr
	% cd vcr
	% ftp ftp.cse.ogi.edu
	*** login as anonymous and your email address as passwd ***
	ftp> cd pub/dsrg/Player
	ftp> binary
	ftp> get README
	ftp> get vcr.tar.Z
	ftp> quit
	% gunzip vcr.tar.Z (or you may also use 'uncompress vcr.tar.Z')
	% tar xf vcr.tar

For people at OGI CSE, the executable form of the player server and
client programs, and the AudioFile server are already installed on
architectures SunOS4 for Sparc, HPUX, Solaris 2.4 for x86, and Solaris
2.3 for Sparc. please see file 'README.OGI' for more information.

This software is covered by copyrights. It contains code contributed
by the author and several other parties. Please see the beginning of
source files and copyright file(s) in the root directory of the source
kit.

Please add yourself to our mailing list by sending a mail (with your
name and address) to following address, so that we can keep you
informed of software upgrade and bug fix. Also please forward your
questions, comments and bug report to this address:

                      scen@cse.ogi.edu

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT

We gratefully thank ARPA and the National Science Foundation for their
financial support, and thank Tektronix, Hewlett-Packard and the
Portland Trail Blazers for their donations.

We also want to thank following people for their code:

  Lawrence A. Rowe, Ketan Patel, and Brian Smith of Computer Science
  Division-EECS, Univ. of Calif. at Berkeley.  The MPEG decoder used by
  the client of the player is originated from their MPEG decoder 2.0

  Thomas M. Levergood, Andrew C. Payne, James Gettys, G. Winfield
  Treese, and Lawrence C. Stewart of Cambridge Research Lab, Digital
  Equipment Corporation. The player uses AudioFile as audio output.

  Daeron Meyer of the Geometry Center, University of Minnesota.  The
  Motif user interface is based on his version.
--
Shanwei Cen
Dept. Computer Science, Oregon Graduate Institute