Date:      Thu, 5 Sep 2002 08:30:39 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com
Subject:   Re: Alternative to cdparanoia or the wrong question?

On 04 Sep 2002 16:13:04 -0400, Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com> writes:

=> joe <joe@dubium.com> writes:
=> > Perhaps this is the wrong question and I've missed something.  I've just
=> > converted my linux workstation to freebsd and was putting all my
=> > favourite tools on...and it seems there isn't a freebsd version for
=> > cdparanoia.   SO ....is that the case or have I missed something, OR
=> > ...what's the best alternative.
=>
=> cdparanoia is a Linux-only program.

I guess that's why it's part of the NetBSD ports collection
(/usr/pkgsrc/audio/cdparanoia). ;-)

=> Its authors claim to be
=> working on porting it to other platforms, but its code is
=> *very* Linux-centric, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

I've been using cdparanoia on my DEC 3000/300 Alpha under NetBSD
literally for years now.  I'd say that's a fairly good portability
test, or, at the very least, an indication that it can run outside the
Linux world.

=> I've used cdda2wav with success, but there are other choices
=> in the ports collection as well.

The cdrdao package includes a version of the cdparanoia DAE library,
so when you do DAE using cdrdao, you're kind of using cdparanoia.  For
those with ATAPI devices, Soren released a version of cdrecord and
cdrdao ported to work with ATAPI devices.  (Search the archives for
his announcement.)  Alternatively, applying the ATAPI CAM patches
(already part of CURRENT now, I believe) should let you use
SCSI-based tools.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu