Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 10:58:14 -0700
From:      Christian Chen <oistrakh@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   mozilla locks up: chunk is already free

Hi all,

I've been having a problem with the freebsd port of mozilla ever since
FreeBSD 4.5 came out. Anytime I attempt to submit a form (i.e. do a POST),
mozilla completely locks up. Usually I will see several of these messages in
the console window:

mozilla-bin in free(): warning: chunk is already free
mozilla-bin in free(): warning: chunk is already free
mozilla-bin in free(): warning: chunk is already free

This has ONLY happened on machines that I have wiped clean and done a fresh
install of FreeBSD 4.5. I have tried this on three machines, two are
Dell machines, one is a IBM laptop. I do a clean install, cvsup to the latest
port versions and compile/install XFree86 4.2 and the most recent mozilla.
This has happened ever since whatever version of mozilla was around when
FreeBSD 4.5 came out. I have tried playing with compiler settings,
turning on/off optimizations, but it has not changed anything.

I have a machine that's been running FreeBSD since 4.2 and been slowly
upgraded to 4.5, and that machine has never had this problem. Again, I have
done the exact same thing as on the machines that DO have the problem:
I cvsup to the latest port versions, I have XFree86 4.2 compiled/installed
and then I compile and install the latest mozilla. No problems ever since
FreeBSD 4.2.

Since this is so repeatable for me, it's odd that I haven't seen this
reported anywhere on the newsgroups or on this mailing list. If an
answer is readily available and I've simply missed it, please let me know.

The linux-mozilla port does not have any of these problems on any of my
machines.

I can provide pkg_info listings for all the machines. The machine that
does not exhibit this problem is running older versions of ORBit, Mesa,
glib, gdk-pixbuf, gettext, and gtk, among other things. Again, the machine
with all these older versions runs fine, it's the machines that grab
the latest versions of all these libraries that seems to be having
these problems, ever since February when FreeBSD 4.5 came out.

I've also tried updating to the latest STABLE versions throughout these
past few months and it has not made a difference either.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Christian Chen