Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 2002 10:04:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@jcdurham.com>
To:        Jim Arnold <jarnold@knightridder.com>
Cc:        chip wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: audiophiles - mp3 question

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Jim Arnold wrote:

> At 11:37 AM -0800 11/28/02, chip wiegand wrote:
> >I know how to rip cd tracks to mp3 format, but what do I do to go the
> >other way - .mp3 to cd format so they can be played in my car stereo
> >which doesn't play .mp3's? Is this possible?
>
> You can also use XMMS to do this. As per the handbook at
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-mp3.html:

Just a little nit to pick. Some of the cd burning programs in ports put a
little "tick" at the beginning of the cut if you use wave files. This is
apparently the wave header getting detected as audio on the playback.

What you really want is raw 44100 pcm files, which you can easily get
from 'sox' with  'sox inputfile.wav outputfile.raw'. Then use these
to make your cd with no 'ticks'. You do this, of course, after using
xmms or lame or whatever to make the .wav files.

If you compare the .wav and the .raw files, you will see that 44 bytes
are missing..that's the 'tick'. You may not even care about this, but
it was making me crazier.

BTW 'audacity' will input wavs, raw and mp3 and output your choice and
let you edit them to boot.

-Jim