Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 18:57:32 +0200
From:      Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mpd, the Windows VPN Client and subnets

Hi,
On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 09:29:05PM -0700, Archie Cobbs wrote:
> Udo Erdelhoff writes:
> > short version of my question: Is it possible to pass a subnet mask and/or
> > a broadcast address to a client during the negotiation?
>
> Unfortunately, no.. PPP doesn't officially support doing that.

This is the answer I feared... Murphy was an optimist.

> This "should" work assuming you have an NT domain controller

I had to install WINS servers on the domain controllers first. And I had
to define the WINS servers within the TCP/IP properties dialog box of the
VPN connection on the Win98 box. The Win98 box got the addresses but
ignored the WINS servers for name resolution (in other words, still node
type 1, b-node, broadcast only). Defining the WINS servers on the client
changed the node type to 8 (WINS with broadcast as backup).

Things are working right now, even with an incorrect subnet mask. All that
remains is a little mpd hacking. I don't want to maintain a third password
database so mpd will have to learn to use the system password database.

/s/Udo

--
Why is it that if someone tells you that there are 1 billion stars in the
universe you will believe them, but if they tell you a wall has wet paint