Date:      Sun, 23 May 1999 02:58:08 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: libg2c.a in -current

> Anyone know why libf2c* was renamed to libg2c* in egcs?

Cygnus has hacked (possibly considerably) Bell-Labs' libf2c.  To the
point a program written to the EGCS's FORTRAN lib wouldn't be linkable
with libf2c.  Thus they felt the need for a unique name.

> Does egcs have a replacement for f2c?

Yep, g77.  :-)

f2c was written to compile FORTRAN programs.  It was quicker for the f2c
authors to write f2c to output C code than ASM, *AND* it meant they
didn't have to deal with code generation, nor optimization.

However, there are many optimizations the code generator can do if it
knows the input language was FORTRAN.  Thus a native FORTRAN compiler
(ie, g77) is preferred.  f2c was never meant to be a FORTRAN to C
translator in which you then maintained the resulting C.

> Would anyone object if I installed the header file, g2c.h, along with
> the library?

Since you seem to believe it is useful, I'll install it.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)