Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 14:53:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Sander <jim@federation.addy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Redundancy... final(?) summary

> solar

   The problem I see is you still need big batteries. It's unlikely that
output from panels will be enough to run significant amounts of equipment,
so you're really just extending the run-time of your UPSs. (probably only
fractionally) Plus, if your power is out due to a storm there's not going
to be a lot of sunshine, so you get zero benefit.

   I can't imagine having cells to back you up between holes in the
clouds, and having high enough capacity panels to quickly recharge the
batteries would be very affordable. Again, an emerging technology to
watch- but supposedly affordable and useful fuel cells are much closer at
hand. (depending upon who you believe of course)

> http://tripplite.com/whatsnew/powerverter_aps.cfm

   I'm not sure of the technology limitations, but I bet you could use
sealed cells (no fumes) or non lead-acid batteries, at (greatly) increased
expense of course. (teleco grade cells, not automotive) Again, you'll need
literally a room full of batteries for long-term outage protection. It's
another possibility though, even if it's an expensive one.

   So that brings us back to fuel-cells which seem like the perfect merger
of short-term and long-term power interrupt protection. Until then, or
something else interesting becomes available I guess UPSs on every box,
and a generator for long-term use is still the most reasonable solution.

-=Jim=-

P.S. Random thought... the other way to attack this problem is to reduce
     consumption. Single-chip servers with flash storage could be