Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 12:30:18 -0000
From:      "Barry Byrne" <barry.byrne@wbtsystems.com>
To:        "Bsd Neophyte" <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: path problems when 'su'-ing to root...

> I've noticed this on both FreeBSD machine (and on my Sparc 20 as well)...
> whenever I 'su' as root, my "path" gets all screwed up.

Sameer:

Check the dot files in /root
If you use sh or variants it would be /root/.profile

Solaris has an SUPATH which you might want to check out /etc/default/su

> Another thing I noticed... is that I need to type "./" before each command
> otherwise the command won't work.

Unless you include '.' in your path, which is generally frowned upon, you
will need need to specify the path to any command not already in PATH.

Cheers,

Barry

--
Barry Byrne, IT Manager,