Date:      Mon, 05 Jul 1999 14:53:25 +0100
From:      Niall Smart <niall@pobox.com>
To:        Zach Brown <zab@zabbo.net>
Cc:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poll() scalability

> > Also, you really want to return more than one event at at time in
> > order to amortize the cost of the system call over several events, this
> > doesn't seem possible with callbacks (or upcalls).
>
> yes, that would be a nice behaviour, but I haven't seen it become a real
> issue yet.  the sigwaitinfo() syscall is just so much lighter than all the
> other things going on in the situation where you actually use this system.

How about a modified sigwaitinfo that will return a number of waiting
siginfo -- of course this introduces the problem of deciding how long
to wait for new additions to the queue before returning.  This is
something similar to the Nagle algorithm..  Or perhaps sigwaitinfo
could buffer siginfo's in user space, although this introduces
complexity if you want the ability to cancel queued signals...

Regards,

Niall