Date:      Fri, 14 May 1999 22:57:26 +0200
From:      Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de>
To:        Thamer Al-Herbish <shadows@whitefang.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Forwarded from BUGTRAQ: SYN floods against FreeBSD

On Fri, May 14, 1999 at 01:17:26PM -0700, Thamer Al-Herbish wrote:
> On Fri, 14 May 1999, Brett Glass wrote:
>
> > One question about "the Linux way of doing it" as described
> > below. What happens if the secret just happens to be modified
> > right after the SYN-ACK? Could be you'd drop a connection or
> > two that was legitimate. Seems like you'd need to test against
> > an old AND a new secret to avoid the race condition, especially
> > in the presence of congestion.
>
> There were a few "trade offs" with the implementation. I have a copy
> of the syn-cookies mailing list archive. Forgot where I originally
> got it from:
>
> http://www.whitefang.com/syn-cookies.txt

I had a look at the archives a few weeks back, just having a
quick look at most of the mails. I guess I must have missed those
trade offs when reading it not too precisely - I'll check them
again.

> Oh and here's the obligatory question: has anyone already attempted
> to write a cookie mechanism for fbsd?

I considered doing to, but seeing that FreeBSD already takes an
(arguable) approach against SYN-floods stopped even thinking of
something like that pretty quickly.
FreeBSD basically drops sockets in SYN_RCVD state if too many of
them are open and another SYN-packet arrives, making place for
this new socket.

bye,
  Harold

--
<Shabby> Sleep is an abstinence syndrome wich occurs due to lack of caffein.
Wed Mar  4 04:53:33 CET 1998   #unix, ircnet