Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 14:35:03 +0100
From:      Thomas Zenker <thz@Lennartz-electronic.de>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB ethernet problem

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 03:20:51AM -0500, Mike Silbersack wrote:
.. deleted

> RFC 2581 suggests that 4 is a good value (well, not exactly 4, they have a
> formula which comes out to about 4 in most cases.)  I'm inclined to agree
> that something between 2-4 would be a good value for our non-local
> slowstart flightsize as well.  Maybe after 4.5 is released we can go look
> into it.  (It's too late to be changing stuff now.)
>
> Mike "Silby" Silbersack

just to remind ourselfs why this thread came up
(i myself had nearly forgotten about it :-):

for the instruments, we produce and which run FreeBSD embedded, I
was doing an installation/upgrade package for our production here.
The install is done via USB/ethernet adaptor.  Because of the change
to recvspace lately (now 65536) the USB/ethernet adaptor (or the
switch, not sure) is overrun and resulting installation speed drops
to unacceptible 10KB/s. It is not a problem for me, because I can
manipulate per sysctl recvspace in my package. But it may become a
problem for people which want to install FreeBSD 4.5 over USB/ethernet
with the normal sysinstall (for example laptop users). AFAIK there is
no knob if you boot from floppy.

-- Thomas Zenker
   c/o Lennartz electronic GmbH
   Bismarckstrasse 136, D-72072 Tuebingen, Germany
   Phone:  +49-(0)7071-93550
   Email:  thz@lennartz-electronic.de