Date:      Wed, 5 Sep 2001 17:55:13 -0400
From:      "John Straiton" <jsmailing@clickcom.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problem with the Exclude option of tar

tar is teasing me. here's my situation:

I'd like to tar.gz all the /home directories on my machine every night, into
separate files (for easy restoration), however there are of course some
files that I don't want copied into the tar. Lets use the file quota.users
for example. I would like to use the exclude-file option of tar but here's
the problem

tar czfX testfile.tar.gz excluded.files /home

with excluded.files simply having the line "home/quota.user" in it works
fine, but
tar czfX testfile.tar.gz excluded.files /home/*
does not. Nor does it work with an exclude file that says:
home/quota.user
quota.user
*.user
/home/quota.user
./quota.user

Which is giving me grief because my script reads like:
for i in `ls /home`
do
tar czfX /backup-directory-structure/$i.tar.gz excluded.files /home/$i
done

Now I know that I could simply tell the .sh script to exclude that file, but
the proper way to do it would be with tar's exclude option since it scales
better.

Ideas?
John Straiton - ClickCom, Inc.
jks@clickcom.com - (704)365-9970x101