Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 14:59:40 -0800
From:      Jon Rust <jpr@vcnet.com>
To:        gerti@BITart.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disk Mirroring

At 4:26 PM -0600 2/25/00, Gerd Knops wrote:

>Well, did you ever try to recover a vinum mirror setup after one of two IDE
>disks died and you replaced it with a new one? It just doesn't work!
>
>Gerd

I did this as a test when I first brought up my Vinum raids. I'll see
if I can remember the steps:

1) Drive fails (I unplugged the drive's power in my tests)
2) Shutdown
3) Plug new drive in (in same logical location, ie IDE master/slave,
SCSI ID, etc). Make sure it's big enough!
4) Boot up
5) fdisk new drive (I use /stand/sysintall for this, and inital label)
6) (re)label new drive slice as Vinum (disklabel -e da?)
7) start vinum and issue "start mirror.p1" (for example, if a drive
on plex p1 in volume mirror had failed)

Step 7 is the part my memory is fuzzy on, but without looking up my
notes on it, I beleive this is correct. Mr. Lehey, do you have
anything to add?

Voila. As a bonus, the entire Vinum volume is accessable during
rebuild. Same procedure for a RAID-10 failure as well. Not sure of
the RAID-5 recovery procedure, though. I'd say it was the same, but
never ASSume anything because it makes an ASS of U and ME. :->

hth,
Jon