Date:      Fri, 04 Jan 2002 04:06:14 +0000
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   nForce Motherboard Chipset

Hi and Happy New Year to everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with FreeBSD and
the new nForce motherboard chipset from nVidia, and more specifically
the A7N266-E motherboard from Asus?

The reason I ask is that the special thing about the nForce chipset is
that it comes with many exciting new features like TwinBank memory, and
the variant in use on the A7N266E includes all your graphics, sound and
networking hardware on the motherboard. The specs of the board are
available on http://www.asus.com.tw/mb/socketa/a7n266-e/specification.htm

The graphics is reportedly an nVidia GeForce2MX, which should be
supported by XFree86 4.1.0 methinks.

Networking is a Realtek RTL 8100. LINT in -stable leads me to believe
that we have support for RealTek 8129/8139 using the rl driver. Does
anyone have any experience with this 8100? What is the rl driver like in
general? I had some bad experiences with the rl driver in early 4.0 or
4.1 I think, and saw some terrible performance. This was with a very
cheap card though. Anyone else care to comment?

Audio is supplied by the handily named "Integrated Audio Processor
Unit". Unless someone else is using this chipset/motherboard, I guess
I'd just have to take my chances with whether we would support it or
not, but apparently includes some very funky Dolby Digital 5.1 decoding
(not that it would be much use with my 30UKP speakers!).

More information on the nForce is available on
http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=nforce including some detailed
information on the above sound hardware on
http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=igp_tech

Any experiences with any of the above hardware or any other related
comments would be gladly received! You know what it's like trying to buy
a motherboard these days!

Andrew.