Date:      Fri, 07 Jul 2000 12:31:08 -0700
From:      schluntz@timberwolf.workofstone.net
To:        Jason Fesler <jfesler@gigo.com>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>, Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>, Alan Batie <batie@rdrop.com>, isp@FreeBSD.ORG, Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
Subject:   Re: Re[4]: load balancing

>> If the box is faulty but still pingable with the IP alias,
>> log into the box, shutdown the alias.  Next, turn the alias
>> on, on the other box.
>
>What if it's pingable, but ssh failed? And how do you solve the
>problems of needing root access to kill the alias? I don't want to
>supply an attacker with the root passwords for the another box if he
>cracks one of a pair... RSA authentication isn't better for that
>matter.

I have a friend who solved that with an X10 kit.  If his servers can't be
contacted through ssh then he just turns off the power to it so another
can take over the IP. It stays off until he has a change to go in and fix
it. (Or he can choose to power it back on remotely and see if it comes
back up correctly.)

-Sean