Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 2002 14:32:13 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   current unable to exec processes under load

--xesSdrSSBC0PokLI

I'm having a strange problem with my -current box: I am running the
bfbtester port on system utilities, which basically forks 100 copies
of the binary at once to test different options.  The problem is that
sometimes the -current system becomes unable to fork *any* new
processes, and even suspending or trying to kill the bfbtester process
does not work.  The rest of the system performance is fine (I can use
existing processes with no noticeable CPU latency): so it does not
appear to be a resource starvation condition.

rot13# ls
[hangs]
load: 0.00  cmd: csh 22888 [vmmapw] 0.00u 0.00s 0% 1160k

This process now cannot be interrupted by signals.

=> /usr/sbin/sendmail
   * Single argument testing
^Z
Suspended
[hang]
load: 0.00  cmd: tcsh 8403 [inode] 0.01u 0.00s 0% 1076k

Any ideas?

Kris

--xesSdrSSBC0PokLI

--xesSdrSSBC0PokLI--