Date:      Fri, 7 May 2004 23:09:10 +0200
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        pf4freebsd@freelists.org
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Looking for pf @ FreeBSD documentation

--Boundary-02=_Ls/mAcr91mDZdYl

All,

as some of you know, pf is now part of the FreeBSD tree as contributed=20
software. This, however, is not documented in any non-manpage way, yet. Hen=
ce=20
I write this, to initiate such documentation and hope for your help in=20
creating such.

=46or a start, it'd be great to have an article to explain about pf and giv=
e=20
pointers how to get started with it. A tutorial which explains how to setup=
 a=20
simple dial-up ppp + NAT firewall would also be great (as I believe that th=
e=20
pf in-kernel NAT is more than an alternative to the existing options). Ther=
e=20
are such documents available for OpenBSD already, most noteable the PF FAQ =
on=20
the OpenBSD homepage. The copyright for this document have been clarified b=
y=20
a recent commit:
	http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=3Dopenbsd-cvs&m=3D108389500216473&w=3D2=20
which makes it a prime candidate for reference. Thanks to Nick Holland and=
=20
Joel Knight for this! They asked for permission to use FreeBSD changes to t=
he=20
documentation, which is common sense imo and should not be a problem. More=
=20
links to (OpenBSD) documentation are available from:
	http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/
	http://www.benzedrine.cx/pf.html
	http://www.openbsd.org/

Questions:
Q: What version to document?
A: At the moment we are still level with OpenBSD 3.4, but an update to Open=
BSD=20
   3.5 will happen in a bit. As it should take some time to get documentati=
on=20
   ready I think documenting 3.5 would be best. There will be some quirks w=
ith=20
   the interface handling, which I will explain in detail once we have patc=
hes=20
   ready.

Q: While writting I found that XYZ is strange, can you change it?
A: By all means, yes! Writting documentation helps to find bugs and strange=
=20
   stuff in the implementation (rc.d e.g.). If you find such things please=
=20
   take them to me, or the lists (see CC list).

Q: What about ALTQ?
A: Work is in progress ... but nothing final yet. I consider documenting th=
e=20
   ability of pf in that area helpful to advocate an ALTQ import ;) And eve=
n=20
   if it does not get imported into the base system, there will always be=20
   external patches to support the releases.

Q: ???
A: Bring additional question to me, or follow-up to this thread. I am not=20
   subscribed to -doc so please CC me on what is going on there. I did choo=
se=20
   not to write the doc myself, as I am not a native speaker and neither mu=
ch=20
   of an admin, so I have a somewhat limited view on pf. Also this is a goo=
d=20
   way to get more eyes on pf and to improof the general infrastructure.
   With *your* help!!!

Looking forward to hearing from you! Thanks in advance!

(BCC'ed -current, thread is supposed to life in -doc or the pf4freebsd list=
).

=2D-=20
Best regards,				| mlaier@freebsd.org
Max Laier				| ICQ #67774661