Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 1996 08:30:26 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FAT filesystem performance

> > Well, let me first say that I don't know exactly how mmapping files
> > works internally. But what I expect is to have the kernel do its
> > best to keep blocks in core and write them back (if necessary) when
> > the file is unmapped.
>
> That is also true for any regular file.

I was talking about regular files.

> If you wanna improve the FAT file system implementation, first study
> its bottlenecks.  The msdosfs code could certainly be improved in
> terms of robustness and performance.  Since it's kernel-level, it has
> full control over what kind of buffers it will allocate, either
> pageable or non-pageable.

A high performance FAT filesystem is certainly useful, but it might
require a lot of work.  Given that some people is now looking at
the stability of the FAT filesystem, I was trying to understand if
there is something simple that can be done to improve performance
at a reasonable cost.

More thoughts on high performance FAT will follow in a separate
message.

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/