Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 09:01:46 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Paul T. Root" <proot@iaces.com>
Cc:        Questions FreeBSD <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sun DDS2 tape changer

On Thursday, 18 May 2000 at 12:06:20 -0500, Paul T. Root wrote:
> Hi all,
> 	I found a discarded Sun DDS2 tape changer in a box in
> my lab and want to use it to replace my DDS1 unit on my server.
>
> 	I'm running 2.2.8-Stable currently, but plan to upgrade
> to 3.4 or 4.x this summer (maybe new hardware too).
>
> 	Anyway, I put it on my 3.4 test system, and tried to
> compile up Amanda 2.4.0-p1, finding that there has been no work
> on integrating CAM into it.  Anybody done any work on this?
>
> 	Without physically pushing the button on the drive, how
> can I get it to go get the next tape? Either having amanda do
> it itself or an mt/ioctl call is fine. I've got a Exabyte changer
> on my Sun that I've never gotten around to integrating into
> amanda.

Apart from the ch device, you should be able to move to the next tape
with 'mt offline'.  If it's the one I'm thinking of, it has a DIP
switch towards the back, one position of which decides whether to
"wrap around" to the first cartridge when you get to the end of the
magazine.  Seagate has some docco on their web site.

Greg