Date:      Thu, 07 May 1998 16:32:54 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Peter Schwenk <schwenk@voicenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Shadow Passwords?

FreeBSD does shadow passwords all teh time

look in /etc/passwd.
notice.. "look ma, no passwords"

they are in /etc/master.passwd but only root can read it.
also there are ndb versions of the files for faster access that the
utilities use. (they don't use the passwd file directly, that's
for compatibility only).

see pwd.db, spwd.db for the binary db versions of the files

use vipw to do all editing... it keeps them in sync.

julian