Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:15:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      stheg olloydson <stheg_olloydson@yahoo.com>
To:        artware@gmail.com
Cc:        tedm@toybox.placo.com
Subject:   Re: Blacklisting IPs

it was said:

>These types of attacks don't seem directed -- it's more like fishing
>for unprotected systems.
>
>FWIW, changing the ssh port dropped the illegal user attempts to 0
>instantly...
>
>- ben
>
>On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:29:10 -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt
>
><tedm@toybox.placo.com> wrote:
>> If I'm going to attack you I'm going to use nessus to scan all
>> ports on your machine.

Hello,

Too many break-in attempts come from cracked Windows boxes running
script bots to make reporting these attempts practical, so I changed my
ssh port to a non-standard one. Now, if I see a break-in attempt, I
block the /21 the attacking IP falls into and report it to the relevant
ISP/network admin because I know a black hat has taken a personal
interest in my network.

Regards,

Stheg