Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 2002 10:21:22 -0800
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jeremiah@sherline.com>
To:        "Bean" <bean@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Review of the FreeBSD advocacy site

> I think the entire FreeBSD project site needs work... And I've been given
> the go-ahead to start working on it in my free time (what's that?!), with
> final approval from the core of course. Do you guys have any suggestions
on
> features/design you'd like to see in a redesign?

Perhaps the handbook and FAQ links could be in bigger letters, perhaps in
some ugly color like red.  Too many newbies are flamed on IRC (and this
discouraged about FreeBSD) when their questions are right there.  I know...
you can lead a horse to water, but you can't force them to drink.  I'm not
really suggesting you go too far with it, but perhaps a bigger link that
says NEED HELP ?  or something like that.  Since the webpage is one of the
main ways of capturing new converts, we have to figure the first thing
they're going to need is help.  The quickest response time would probably be
the Handbook, #freebsdhelp on EFNet, and -questions.  An entire page
dedicated to FreeBSD help is more likely to keep these people involved.
Imagine how many people try installing and setting up FreeBSD, have some
kind of problem, can't find the answer, and therefore they quit, give up,
and install RedHat.  You might say that person has their own personality
problems, or perhaps they wouldn't have made a very good addition to our
community, but I disagree.  I say bring on the masses.  FreeBSD feels like
the AMD of operating systems right now.  WE know FreeBSD is the shiznit.
Our core followers know.  The corporations that use FreeBSD know.  But if
you start thinking about the hearts and minds of the upcoming generation of
admins, that 15 year old kid on his DSL is tomorrow's admin.  I know that's
true because quite a few of us were yesterday's 12 year old kid on a 2400
baud modem.

I have obviously diverged into a minor rant, and I beg your pardon for doing
so, but if you're redoing the webpage, keep in mind, it's the first thing
most people see about FreeBSD.  Look at NetBSD's page, where they pump their
architectures on the front page like a badge of honor.  Look at OpenBSD's
page with the use of their logo and the "elite" security vibe they try to
put out.  The FreeBSD homepage needs to *sell* FreeBSD to the kiddies, the
alternate OS admins, and the corporate manager who is considering his
admin's request to convert systems to FreeBSD.  Don't give up our reserved
and professional attitude (one of our more valuable assets), but at the same
time, consider that we need to impress these groups of people with the very
first page, because most won't follow more than 1 link on the page before
they bail.

I know people hate the word, but part of FreeBSD advocacy is marketing.  If
you win someone over with good marketing, they'll eventually learn the
merits of FreeBSD through their own experience.

I know that's a tall order, I just wanted to get some of that out there for
consideration.