Date:      Sat, 31 Jan 1998 06:40:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: bin/5596: killall's bogus diagnostics

The following reply was made to PR bin/5596; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
To: mi@aldan.algebra.com
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: 31 Jan 1998 15:13:33 +0100

 Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com> writes:

 > 	If a process exists, but can not be killed (belongs to
 > 	another user, for example), killall(1) will still report
 > 	"No matching processes"

 This is intentionally and not a bug. killall(1) try to kill only
 processes which can be killed. If I call `killall ftp', killall should
 only kill my ftp clients and not complains about the not killable ftp
 processes which belongs to other users.

 --
 Wolfram Schneider   <wosch@freebsd.org>   http://www.freebsd.org/~wosch/