Date:      Sat, 10 Jul 1999 01:25:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        is@isaka.net (is)
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with Sony

is wrote,
> Howdy,
>
> Today I received my Dell PowerEdge 1300 and my FreeBSD 3.2 CD-ROM distrib
> from Walnut Creek. After taking a moment to stick the "Powered by
> FreeBSD" plaque over the "Intel Inside" logo, I popped in my CD and began
> the install process (novice install). I got all the way through to
> specifying my installation medium, at which point I got a "CD-ROM not
> found" error.
>
> The CD is a Sony CDU701 on the IDE bus, secondary 1. I messed around with
> UserConfig options, but my limited knowledge wasn't enough to let me do
> anything. I did catch the relevant point in the boot process, and the
> line is:
> scd0 not found at 0x230
>
> I specced FTP as an install medium and things appear to be progressing
> nicely even as I type. However, I figure I'm going to end up with a
> CD-less system when I'm done. Is there anything I can do about this? I'm
> by no means a Unix stud, but I'm willing to try whatever as this is a new
> system. I will be needing the CD in the future, so any help you can offer
> would be greatly appreciated.

The scd0 device is not for Sony IDE CDROMs. It is for the old Sony
CDU31/33 CDROMs that used a propretary interface (an ISA card).

Your CDROM should be discovered during the probe of the second IDE
controller, wdc1. My guess is that your CDROM should work fine. The
only problem I can see off-hand is that people have reported problems
if a single device is jumpered to be the slave on the secondary
controller and there is no master.