Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2000 21:18:56 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>
Cc:        "James E. Housley" <jeh@FreeBSD.org>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/net Makefile ports/net/tcpcat Makefile distinfo pkg-comment pkg-descr pkg-plist

On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 02:08:01PM -0500, Bill Fumerola wrote:
> [ not meant as an attack on James ]
>
> On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 04:23:53AM -0800, James E. Housley wrote:
>
> >   Log:
> >   New Port: net/tcpcat
> >   A simple utility for sending/receiving data over a TCP or a Unix-domain socket
>
> How many of these programs are we going to have in ports.. I can think of 3 right
> now that do the exact same thing as this one..

To quote from tcpcat's homepage (WWW: http://www.gusnet.cx/proj/tcpcat/)

   When I wrote this I was not aware of netcat. netcat essentailly
   does the same thing as tcpcat but has been around a lot longer and is
   more geared towards port scanning. Netcat also has connected UDP
   support (whatever that's worth). Tcpcat is more user friendly,
   supports AF_UNIX domain sockets, has a throughput meter, supports OSes
   without a unified socket/filedescriptor address space (BeOS) in a
   diminished capacity, is built with autoconf and some other stuff.
   Tcpcat does not use any code from netcat.

So, yes, tcpcat is like netcat and friends in some respects, but it does
add some functionality, too.

Also, netcat has some problems when reading from a pipe - sometimes it fails
to detect end-of-input, and just hangs there, waiting for never.  tcpcat
does not have this problem.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Thit sentence is not self-referential because "thit" is not a word.