Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 00:26:30 +0000
From:      Stuart Henderson <sthen@naiad.eclipse.net.uk>
To:        "Jason J. Horton" <jason@intercom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware Raid controllers

On Thu, Mar 23, 2000 at 05:38:51PM -0500, Jason J. Horton wrote:
> Does anyone know if the HP NetRAID series of cards is supported?
> I am having a hard time finding any information about these cards
> on the HP site, let alone tech info like chipset.

They're badged megaraid cards, here is one onboard
a LH4r,

sym0: <895> port 0xa000-0xa0ff mem 0xe8100000-0xe8100fff,0xe8101000-0xe81010ff irq 11 at device 7.0 on pci1
sym0: Symbios NVRAM, ID 7, Fast-40, LVD, parity checking
sym0: open drain IRQ line driver, using on-chip SRAM
amr0: <AMI MegaRAID> mem 0xf0000000-0xf7ffffff irq 10 at device 2.1 on pci0
amr0: firmware \^E\^BD  bios \^D\^AB   16MB memory

^^^ note junk chars in identification strings, HP have a
habit of changing identifying markings wherever they can -
they even do this to their hard drives. (I've had mostly
IBM drives from UK distributors recently, in case anyone
cares, they're *much* better than the seagates which they
were supplying a couple of months ago).

amrd0: <MegaRAID logical drive> on amr0
amrd0: 8677MB (17770496 sectors) RAID 0 (optimal)

Passthrough doesn't function with this device on
4.0-current-20000214 so I can't give any camcontrol inq
infos.  *I have not tried this card on a RAID volume
set!* this one currently has only a single drive on it
but is configured through the RAID controller (i.e. it
isn't just using the 895 chips thru sym0).

The box this is sitting in is usually load avg 1.5 or
so. Not much of an indication but it has been doing
something fairly active for the last few weeks without
falling.

> Wondering if this card would be a good RAID1 card for
> our HP NetServer LPr's...

Have not had chance to try the PCI card yet since the
only ones we have are in NT machines. I suspect they'll
work okay. But then, I don't see any reason not to use
one of the known-supported cards like a generic AMI or
a Mylex pci dac unless you have a netraid card lying
around anyway (in which case I guess there'd be no point
in asking on-list ;-)

> can you boot off of a RAID1 vinum setup yet?

I don't know. Perhaps someone on the scsi list will
- and since it's more relevant there than to -isp I've
changed the CC.