Date:      18 Dec 2002 15:09:49 -0600
From:      Andrew Y Ng <ayn@AndrewNg.com>
To:        Nick Jennings <nkj@namodn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Minimizing base-system size

--=-Ljqmrj8Gl2hhcZHuP+s4

you can also do a `make installmost` instead of a `make world` to make
the base system smaller, though I've never done that myself.

/ayn

On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 13:09, Nick Jennings wrote:
> Hi All,
>=20
>  Recently I installed FreeBSD on an old 486/DX100 with a very small hard
>  drive. I am planning to use it as a little bookshelf firewall to
>  replace my p200 tower which just takes up too much space.=20
>=20
>  At first I didn't think about system size, I re-built the basesystem
>  with nothing disabled in the make.conf
>=20
>  Now I am realizing I need to make this system smaller, I've disabled
>  several things in the make.conf:
>=20
> NO_BIND=3D        true    # do not build BIND
> NO_FORTRAN=3D     true    # do not build g77 and related libraries
> NO_I4B=3D true    # do not build isdn4bsd package
> NO_LPR=3D true    # do not build lpr and related programs
> NO_SENDMAIL=3D    true    # do not build sendmail and related programs
> NOPROFILE=3D      true    # Avoid compiling profiled libraries
> NOUUCP=3D true    # do not build uucp related programs
>=20
>  And I'd like to rebuild the system & remove everything that is from
>  the original build. Is there a supported way to do this?
>=20
>  Any ideas appreciated.
>=20
> - Nick Jennings
>=20
--=20
andrew y ng  <ayn@andrewng.com>  http://andrewng.com

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 9bfc594c
fingerprint : 46a1 29ff 893a 0381 dc81  1e1e bed8 e882 9bfc 594c

--=-Ljqmrj8Gl2hhcZHuP+s4

--=-Ljqmrj8Gl2hhcZHuP+s4--