Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2000 05:26:48 -0700
From:      "K" <contactk@hotmail.com>
To:        <advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Freebsd in the Enterprise world.

Greetings,

Asmo gave me the great idea of sharing my situation with the advocacy group.

We're setting up an enterprise environment and so of course we'll be using
shared storage (Symmetrix) products from EMC. Their software, of course,
doesn't have a FreeBSD port and so instead of using the operating system all
of us in my operation have used and loved for years, with obvious and real
basis as opposed to the linux hype machine, we must use Solaris. I ask, what
good is an enterprise setup if your boxes are all owned by script kids? :)
Oh well, better than having to run Windows.

In any event, I urge all of you that give the slightest damn about FreeBSD
having any kind of place in the enterprise world to contact EMC and ask them
to *register* your request for FreeBSD support.

On a positive note, a firm I know one of the staffers in, Integratus,
(www.integratus.com) has released their UHA product extensions for
EMC(Direct competitor to VCS from Veritas (www.veritas.com) IIRC) on
FreeBSD. (http://www.integratus.com/News/UHAExtensionsForEMC.html) I think
this is a big win because slowly the points of failure (No pun intended. :P)
in support for FreeBSD in Enterprise environments are being removed. (Now we
just need EMC and Oracle to support FreeBSD and we can use FreeBSD instead
of Solaris! Heh.)

If anyone happens to have any information on FreeBSD support from EMC
(Haven't been able to get any positive news from my EMC rep, then again
we're a small customer only having 2 million US or so to spend.), like if
you know an engineer at EMC or something, please let me know ASAP.

Best Regards all.

Ciao,
Kelly