Date:      Sat, 19 Sep 1998 22:14:01 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Joe Abley <jabley@clear.co.nz>, Mark Huizer <freebsd@xaa.iae.nl>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF ldconfig

In the last episode (Sep 20), Joe Abley said:
> On Sun, Sep 20, 1998 at 01:36:33AM +0200, Mark Huizer wrote:
> > > See the conversion guidelines for more details:
> > >
> > >     http://www.freebsd.org/~asami/elf-guidelines.txt
> >
> > Well, I started looking for it alright, but it seems a bit rude to
> > me to just make it libslang.1, and considering that the libslang
> > makefile is talking about elf major and minor version numbers, I
> > got confused a little :-) does elf except only major, or is that a
> > FreeBSD specific thing, or what? And why doesn't it matter when
> > versions get upgraded and all?
>
> That was my concern. Surely there must come a time when two versions
> of a shared library exist (with identical major version numbers), and
> an application requires to be dynamically linked to the older of the
> two because of some incompatability with the newer library?

Probably because if a later library is not downward-compatible with the
previous release, its major number needs to be bumped.  The only thing
you lose by dropping the minor number is version-checking; i.e. I have
two libfoo.so.1 files, on two different machines, both different sizes.
Which is the latest release (not necessarily latest compiled)?  I
assume the solution with ELF libraries is to simply run "ident", and
look at the sourcefile versions.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com