Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 09:54:15 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        "Sergey Matveychuk" <sem@ciam.ru>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ??: fxp half-duplex problemm

At 05:54 PM 12/11/01 +0300, Sergey Matveychuk wrote:
>Turning off full-duplex:
># ifconfig fxp0 media 100baseTX
># ifconfig fxp0
>fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>  inet 192.168.45.10 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.45.255
>  ether 00:d0:b7:16:10:f9
>  media: Ethernet 100baseTX
>  status: active
>
>Looks like half-duplex? Nope! Switch indecated full-duplex.

Soon as you start setting the duplex manually on your card, you will need
to do the same with your switch.  If you want to *try* and get the card to
negotiate duplex settings with the switch, you can *try* setting the card
to autoselect
ifconfig fxp0 media autoselect

I emphasize the word try because NWAY is NOT reliable in my
experience.  Better to explicitly tell all the devices the speed and duplex
settings.

>Conclusion: ifconfig always show right media but really it doesn't.

Or Conclusion2: The fxp driver does show the right settings and it is in
the right mode.  Whether your switch will follow is another matter and it
might have worked in the past due to a bug you were relying on.  IMHO, if
autoneg is turned off in the card, it should be turned off.

         ---Mike