Date:      Tue, 02 Jul 2002 23:31:49 -0700
From:      jrl <joloxbox@attbi.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FBSD 4.6, X4.2, and an USB mouse

Hello

I have installed 4.6 release on two boxes with differing hardware
configurations.  Both have USB mice.

Box 1:
Athlon 1200, 512 MB DDR
Millenium G400
Microsoft Optical Wheel mouse

Box 2:
K6-350, 230 MB
ATI 3D Rage Turbo
Logitech Optical Wheel mouse

Both boxes ran 4.5 release with X4.2 without any problems.  With 4.6, both
boxes demonstrated the same symptom:
startx, then a black screen, no freeze-up, no x server crash, and absolutely no
errors in the log, whatsoever, however, the last line in the log is always

baud rate=1200...

It's as if x is having a problem grabbing the mouse.  The server just stalls
there.  I read that there were some changes to improve access to moused for
/dev/sysmouse.  I'm confused.  Can anyone help?  I'm not posting the log for
the obvious reason that there is nothing to show....TIA

Quoth the Raven, "CAW!"

Joshua Lokken

joloxbox@attbi.com
joshualokken@attbi.com