Date:      08 Jul 2002 15:07:21 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Christian Chen <oistrakh@earthlink.net>
Cc:        Brossin Pierrick <pbrossin@wxp.homeip.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Server and Gateway

On Mon, 2002-07-08 at 15:04, Christian Chen wrote:
> 1. Set up NAT to route between your ethernet card and tun0
> 2. Set up a set of firewall rules using ipf that will block certain traffic
>    trying to come in from tun0 and go to NAT.
>
> Problem is, I could never actually get step 2 to work properly. I'm
> certainly not a networking guru, so I'm sure it's my own incompetence that
> prevented me from getting it to work. But what
> I've found works equally well (at least, I *think* it's working equally
> well!) is to use the firewall features of PPP to block incoming packets
> on tun0. "man ppp.conf" will tell you how to set this up, and there are
> also examples in /usr/share/examples/ppp.

I have IPFW controlling access via tun0 on my system..

I have a PPPoE DSL connection.

You can have a copy of my rules if you like.

I am using ppp's aliasing features, not IPF's - I haven't ever used IPF
so I am not sure how it's NAT interacts with it's firewalling.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5