Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2000 15:22:18 -0500
From:      "Christian Kuhtz" <ck@gnu.org>
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: boot disk & boot loader

Mike,

thanks, but...

> You don't need a BSD boot floppy to install a boot loader - unless
> there's some factor you haven't mentioned.

As I tried to hint at in the previous post, I have to tell the BIOS to boot
off the 2nd disk.  When I do so, FreeBSD doesn't properly recognize /dev/ad0
(apparently /dev/ad0 doesn't get initialized properly while the other drive).
Why, I don't know, it is recognized any other way, so, I need to build a boot
disk.

What do I need to put on the boot floppy? (or is it already of the fixit
floppy?)

> To install the standard
> boot manager, you use boot0cfg. You can install it from a running BSD
> system. You install it on disk 0 (which should be /dev/ad0 for IDE and
> /dev/da0 for SCSI) with a command like "/usr/sbin/boot0cfg -B
> /dev/ad0". Some peoople install on both disks, so that F1 boots the
> current disk, and F2 switches to the boot menu from the other
> disk. For details see the boot0cfg man page.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.  So, now I just need to find out what
to do to get this done after booting from a floppy.

Cheers,
Chris

--
Christian Kuhtz <ck@arch.bellsouth.net> -wk, <ck@gnu.org> -hm
Sr. Architect, Engineering & Architecture, BellSouth.net, Atlanta, GA, U.S.