Date:      Fri, 6 Dec 2002 04:59:52 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        aSe <aSe@SysFail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Qmail/Mail problem..

On 2002-12-05 20:54, aSe <aSe@SysFail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm useing the HowTo at
> http://mricon.com/SM/guide/bsd/qvcs-guide.pdf
> to setup Qmail and Ucspi-tcp. I'm just having a slight problem
> trying to start ucspi-tcp.
> [...]
> Fail# /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -R -x/var/qmail/control/relays.cdb \
>     -u5001 -g5000 0 smtp /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd 2>&1 | \
>    /var/qmail/bin/splogger &
> Ambiguous output redirect.

You are running a command that was designed for sh(1) or compatible
shells in csh(1).  The guide you are reading assumes that your shell
is a Bourne shell, but in BSD the default shell of the root user is
/bin/csh.  Try saving the command unchanged in a file, and run it as
an sh(1) script:

	fail# cat rc-smtpd.sh
	/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -R -x/var/qmail/control/relays.cdb \
	-u5001 -g5000 0 smtp /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd 2>&1 | \
	/var/qmail/bin/splogger &

Then run the script you have written with sh(1):

	fail# sh rc-smtpd.sh

That should make it work as expected...

> (note: my email client is most likely wrapping that command to
> another line but, it was entered as one)

It didn't wrap anything.  Which is arguably worse, some times, but
that's another topic :)