Date:      Thu, 09 Jan 2003 08:29:50 -0500
From:      Gary Stanny <stanny@TDFltd.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   <attn> sendmail gurus - how do I stop "4.1.8 Sender domain must resolve" errors

Hi - I'm running 4.5 and Sendmail 8.11.6/8.9.3. When I upgraded to
4.5 I couldn't get the new Version 9 config file running so I continued
to run my old sendmail.cf file.

     SENDMAIL CONFIGURATION FILE
##### built by root@usw4.freebsd.org on Thu Jul 27 02:51:24 GMT 2000

Now I use my BSD box as my firewall & gateway to my cable modem. My
house LAN is behind it and I can mail between the boxes in the house and
out to the world. Everything works fine currently.

The problem is when fetchmail tries to download certain spams from my
domain web hoster into my local LAN. Sendmail refuses it with a "SMTP error:
451 4.1.8 Sender domain must resolve" error and then all my incoming
email gets wedged. Now I understand why sendmail wants to refuse the
spam and I agree normally it would be the right thing to do. But my cable
company conveniently blocks my sendmail and ftp ports unless I buy
a commercial account. So my box can't become a relay. And SpamAssassin
is laying in wait for the spam - so I want to let it in.

But I scared to poke sendmail with a stick - so could some-one please in
version 8 macro code show me what to add to my sendmail.cf to tell sendmail
to pass the spam. And for future reference the version 9 m4 answer would
be nice too.

Thanks a bunch and email me if you need to see my current sendmail.cf.

cheers

gary

Gary Stanny          Tierra del Fuego Ltd.    www.TDFltd.com
stanny@TDFltd.com    Financial Software       734-449-8306 (voice/fax)
7725 Shady Beach Dr  Whitmore Lake, MI, 48189 USA