Date:      Sun, 22 Jan 2012 20:09:13 -0600 (CST)
From:      Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Driver support for Marvell 88SE6320 SAS Controller

"Warwick Davison" <wcdavison@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi There,
>

> I have been reading up on SAS controller support in FreeBSD and I see that
> there is no support for the Marvell 88SE6320 SAS controller as found on the
> ASUS P6T Deluxe and WS series motherboards. I have seen that there are quite
> a few people enquiring about the driver for this chipset.
>
> What can be done to include the drive in one of the FreeBSD releases to
> come.

There are generally four possible reasons why a driver for particular
hardware is not present:
 1) the tehnical information to write the driver is not available from the
    manufacturer.
 2) the current driver developers do not have a sample of the hardware
    to test against.
 3) the current driver developers do not have the _time_ to do the work.
    remember, this is a volunteer effort.
 4) no one with the time, and resources,  to do it is interested in doing so.

Items 1 and 2 account for a -lot- of 'missing' device drivers.

Which of the above can _you_ help with?   <grin>