Date:      Thu, 04 Oct 2001 04:43:56 +0100
From:      cscott <cscott@telinco.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   expanding vinum concatinations

Hi,

I have recently being playing around with vinum but am having a few
problems

I have a concatinated plex consisting of 3 subdisks, this works fine.
What i want to do is add more space to the plex without losing data
already on it, this is where the problem starts.

If my understanding is correct i need to add a subdisk then attach it to
the plex with the attach command
here is my existing config

vinum -> list
3 drives:
D vinumdrive0           State: up       Device /dev/ad3s1e      Avail:
0/250 MB (0%)
D vinumdrive1           State: up       Device /dev/ad3s1f      Avail:
0/250 MB (0%)
D vinumdrive2           State: up       Device /dev/ad3s1g      Avail:
0/250 MB (0%)

1 volumes:
V big                   State: up       Plexes:       1 Size:        749
MB

1 plexes:
P big.p0              C State: up       Subdisks:     3 Size:        749
MB

3 subdisks:
S big.p0.s0             State: up       PO:        0  B Size:        249
MB
S big.p0.s1             State: up       PO:      249 MB Size:        249
MB
S big.p0.s2             State: up       PO:      499 MB Size:        249
MB

now to add a subdisk i create the following file

	drive vinumdrive3 device /dev/ad3s1h
	sd name s3.p1.s0 drive vinumdrive3

then run the following comand

	create new
        3: sd name s3.p1.s0 drive vinu mdrive3
        ** 3 No space for  on vinumdrive3: No space left on device
        4 drives:
        D vinumdrive0           State: up       Device /dev/ad3s1e
Avail: 0/250 MB (0%)
        D vinumdrive1           State: up       Device /dev/ad3s1f
Avail: 0/250 MB (0%)
        D vinumdrive2           State: up       Device /dev/ad3s1g
Avail: 0/250 MB (0%)
        D vinumdrive3           State: up       Device /dev/ad3s1h
Avail: 799/799 MB (99%)

        1 volumes:
        V big                   State: up       Plexes:       1
Size:        749 MB

        1 plexes:
        P big.p0              C State: up       Subdisks:     3
Size:        749 MB

        2 subdisks:
        S big.p0.s0             State: up       PO:        0  B
Size:        249 MB
        S big.p0.s1             State: up       PO:      249 MB
Size:        249 MB
        S big.p0.s2             State: up       PO:      499 MB
Size:        249 MB

As you can see the subdisk wasnt created but vinum now know about the
drive. I have searched around all I can but cant seem to find anything
to suggest how to do this, or maybe in just being dumb

Assuming I get the subdisk created am I correct in thinking all i have
to do is an
	attach new_sub_disk big
or do I need to stop anything first?

Also do I need to do a makedev afterwards?

Finally, I realise I wont see the new capacity until the filesystem is
configured to use it. Presumably I can use growfs to do this without any
problems on freebsd 4.4

This is the disklabel of the test drive
# /dev/ad3s1:
type: ESDI
disk: ad3s1
label:
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 64
sectors/cylinder: 4032
cylinders: 786
sectors/unit: 3173121
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
drivedata: 0

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c:  3173121        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 -
786*)
  e:   512000        0     vinum                        # (Cyl.    0 -
126*)
  f:   512000   512000     vinum                        # (Cyl.  126*-
253*)
  g:   512000  1024000     vinum                        # (Cyl.  253*-
380*)
  h:  1637121  1536000     vinum                        # (Cyl.  380*-
786*)

Cheers

Chris