Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 13:40:08 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Tenacious <tMind@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        Panos GEVROS <P.Gevros@cs.ucl.ac.uk>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrading from source 2.2.8 -> 3.

Tenacious wrote:

> Should I go to ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.ORG/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-stable/3.0-stable/
> and "get src.tar" and untar to /usr/src and "make upgrade"?  Please give me
> some kind of direction.

I can't help. When I went from 2.2.8 to 3.1, I did an upgrade from the
CDROM and a floppy boot. I cvsup'ed to current and had many problems. I
needed more space and so I replaced the main drive with a 13GB on and
did a clean install of 3.1. Then, I cvsup'ed to 3.1-stable and have been
following stable since then.

Make certain that you have Mergemaster installed before you upgrade. The
/etc files have been rearranged, device names have changed, any you have
to worry about compat22 and aout files. You need to read the tutorial on
upgrading. Ruslan also has a file on upgrading. Hir URL will be in the
articles in the questions archive.

Kent

> Thanks

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html