Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 17:29:18 -0500
From:      "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>
To:        "Douglas R.Spindler" <spindler@dnai.com>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "wbs@infowest.com" <wbs@infowest.com>
Subject:   Re: A question from a convert from Windows to FreeBSD

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002 18:56:41 -0700, wbs@infowest.com wrote:

>The scary part here though, is for people that are overwhelmed or intimidated
>the install instructions, are they going to be able to use and maintain the
>system.  I don't know.  There are many degrees more of idiot proofing that are
>needed before FreeBSD could be turned loose on the general public.  But I want
>to pursue that dream.

no need for that, just idiot proof the public :)

seriously, if someone doesn't have the knowledge to FIPS and install
freebsd, they need to learn that before start with freebsd, being that
there are many many things that would possibly make freebsd as insecure
as windows if you dont know what you are forgetting.  for example:
installing and saying yes to anonymous ftp.  that is probably turned
off if you enable high security.

even as computer-literate as i am (not saying i'd capable of running my
own ISP or something to that effect), i read up on freebsd a lot before
I installed it.  and I am still reading up on it :)

---
doug reynolds | the maverick | mav@wastegate.net

PGP Public Key Fingerprint: 6E7B 9993 B503 6D45  E33A 2019 26E5 C1DB