Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 11:07:08 +1100
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Idle timeouts for pppd(8)

On Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 05:01:12AM +1000, Greg Black wrote:
> I'd like to hear from anybody who has successfully got pppd to
> drop a connection when the idle timeout expires, using the
> "active-filter" mechanism to filter out packets that don't count
> for real activity.
>
> I have built a kernel pppd with PPP_FILTER defined, but have had
> no luck in getting it to work.  I get no complaints, but the
> line stays up for ever.

greg,

ahhhh .. so that is what is happening, i am using pppd, also have ppp_filter
defined but no targets. then started it up and several monts down teh track
i'd look in on teh microcom deskporte fast+ and see that the carrier detect
led was lit but teh rest were as dead as my pppd connection to my isp's router.

i found the only way to restart pppd was to kill (kill -9 pppd's pid) then the
modem would hang up, carrier would drop and i could restart .. pppd
/dev/cuaa... etc etc.

i've not been able to work out how to get logging started, i sent some email
to teh userids listed att eh end of teh pppd manpage but got no responce, not
even fault report, from sendmail or whatever is being used at that end.

but my time out idle expires, expired, at whatever ??? seconds i set it for.

a bit more info, but not much, sorry.

regards

jonathan