Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 23:19:49 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        media@mail1.nai.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD-ROM drive for FreeBSD??

media@mail1.nai.net wrote:

> I have a Compaq Deskpro 4000 (133 Pentium) with Windows 95 and FreeBSD 3.4.
> Is there a list of compatible CD-ROM drives listing makes and models??  If
> so, does anyone have the URL??

Almost any ATAPI/IDE or SCSI drive should work. I have a Mitsumi CD-ROM,
HP CD-RW, a Samsung CD-ROM and a Teac CD-ROM, they all work fine. Dunno
which is best. The only drive I had problems with was a Philips drive -
it worked fine with Windoze so I sold it to a Windows user.

> Also, what is the difference between connecting it to the soundcard (an
> Ensoniq Soundscape) or connecting it to the Secondary EDI??  Is there any
> advantage in connecting it to one or the other??

I'd connect it to the motherboard's IDE controller, unless you have a
good reason not to. I wouldn't trust a soundcard to handle anything
other than sound, but these are just my opinions based on zero evidence
of anything.

Remember though that if you connect it to the secondary IDE, and it's
the only device attached, you MUST set the drive as "master", not
"slave", otherwise FreeBSD won't see it, or so I've been led to believe.

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D