Date:      Sat, 29 Nov 1997 05:56:17 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, tlambert@primenet.com
Cc:        fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ufs slowness

I wrote:
>ffs wants to seek a lot to switch cylinder groups (for almost every new
>directory?), but I think the main problem is that it wants to seek lot
>to handle fragments.  I'm now making space to repartition.  I'll try a
>4K/4K ffs to match the ext2fs block size exactly.

This was the problem.  The 4K/4K ffs was about the same speed as a
4K/4K ext2fs, and a 4K/512 ffs was about as slow as an 8K/1K ffs
(20+ seconds vs 40+ seconds).  Some analysis of the i/o:

                                 ffs-4K-4K         ffs-4K-512
contiguous blocks                   7093              3481
forward seeks                        450              2857
backwards seeks                      258              1647
forward seeks > 64K                  407              1037
backward seeks > 64K                 211               797
average block size                  7013              6055

The drive has an average access time 10.5 ms.

Bruce